Sunday, February 14, 2010

Dustin v. The Treadmill: Round 2

Road conditions and a cancelled road race (5K) forced me to tango with the treadmill for another workout, more intense than the tempo workout I completed on Wednesday. I ran 2x10:00+ at lactate threshold pace (5:33/mile pace for the first interval, 5:30/mile for the second) and 2x1 mile at critical velocity pace (5:21/mile). The workout went very well. Again, I found the treadmill to be accommodating and comfortable, after struggling with effort-based workouts on undulating terrain of Mt. Washington and Pikesville for the last several weeks.

I was hoping for a "rust buster" this weekend, even if it would only be a low-key 5K. The race I planned to run, Pittsburgh's Cupid Chase 5K, has been postponed until February 27. Thus, my first race will be the Club Challenge Ten Mile on February 28. With the exception of national and world class marathoners, one would not toe the line of an important race without beforehand running a tune-up race. I must have faith in my training and make the most of the two weeks remaining, though any workouts before the race will only provide a psychological, not a physical, benefit at the Club Challenge.

THE WEEK: February 7 - 13
Sunday: 17 mile long run - 2:12:00 in the aftermath of the blizzard on a hilly course
Monday: 8.5 miles AM, 3.25 miles PM - 11.75
Tuesday: 8.1 miles
Wednesday: 9 miles, including 2x15:00+ at lactate threshold AM; 4.25 miles PM
Thursday: 9 miles AM; 4.5 miles PM
Friday: 4.5 miles - recovery run
Saturday: 10.6 miles - 2x10:00 @ lactate threshold, 2x1 mile @ critical velocity
Total: 79 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment